Skip to main content

What can I do if I am listed on a lease and my landlord won’t release me?

Firstly, you need to remember that your landlord – or even your agent – may not be aware of the current laws surrounding ending leases due to Domestic and Family Violence. That’s why it’s important to know your rights in the state you are in.

If the law states that you are able to exit your lease, make sure you provide the correct documentation and move forward with your plans. Whether the agent/landlord agrees or not, is not relevant. If they wish to dispute your request, they will need to lodge a dispute resolution with the appropriate body (In Queensland it will be the RTA). This will enable all parties to discuss the issue, and the agent/landlord will be advised on what their responsibilities are. In the most extreme case, the landlord/agent may choose to take the matter to tribunal.

The important thing for you to understand is that all the above can take place AFTER you leave the property. If you feel unsafe and choose to leave, get in touch with the relevant community support and do what is best for you and your family.  As long as you are aware of your responsibilities, and you keep records of your actions, your rights will be protected.

Leave a Reply